News

The Sussex Police & Crime Panel has confirmed the appointment of Police & Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne’s proposed candidate, Giles York, to be the new Chief Constable of Sussex Police.The Panel conducted a confirmation hearing attended by Mr York and Mrs Bourne at its annual meeting on Friday (27 June), which was webcast live: http://www.eastsussex.public-i.tv/core/portal/home.
Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne has joined a cross-party group of commissioners campaigning against new laws governing taxis which they believe could put vulnerable passengers at risk.Mrs Bourne said: “There is a thriving night-time economy that goes hand-in-hand with the taxi and private hire business in many of the seaside towns in Sussex.
This month’s Performance & Accountability Meeting (PAM) will take place on Friday 20 June between Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, and Chief Constable, Giles York. The meeting, which will be webcast live from 1-3pm, will see the Commissioner question Mr York on police priorities and performance.Items on the agenda for Friday’s meeting include: Sussex Police’s response to the unlicensed rave at Devils Dyke last month; the reduction in the number of children in custody; the accuracy of crime data recording and officer fitness.
Over 60 local organisations have been awarded grants totalling almost £300,000 from the Safer in Sussex Community Fund. More than 90 applications were submitted for a share of the Fund, made available by the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne.Local community groups, particularly those from the voluntary and community sector, were invited to submit bids for funding to support crime reduction and community safety initiatives.Successful bidders joined Mrs Bourne at a special ‘Celebration Showcase’ event at her office in Lewes on 19 June for an official cheque presentation.
Sussex Police are to use new extra protection arrangements for victims of domestic abuse following a successful pilot of the scheme in three other force areas. There are two parts to the initiative; Domestic Violence Protection Notices (DVPN) and Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPO). The system will become available for use from Thursday 12 June, the first day of the 2014 World Cup, when experience shows that domestic abuse incidents increase on the days of England matches.Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, said: “I am pleased to see these new protection arrangements being made available to officers in Sussex, particularly at a time when we know reports of domestic abuse typically increase. Crucially these powers will provide immediate emergency protection to victims of domestic abuse, when they need it most. I hope that investment in this area will not only contribute towards improved attrition rates, as victims will have the time and space to consider their options, but also to a faster and more efficient response from the police and partners who will be time-bound by the restrictions set out by these Protection Notices and Orders.”
Sussex Police are planning for a potential increase in domestic abuse incidents during and after some World Cup games this summer. Officers will be specifically tasked at peak times during and after England matches to help protect victims and families from abuse.Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, is backing the initiative: “Factors such as increased alcohol consumption and heightened emotions like celebration and rivalry during major sporting events can lead to unpleasant situations, particularly when expectations are dashed. That’s not blaming football, but there should be no excuse for domestic abuse, at any time.“Sussex Police is committed to tackling domestic abuse effectively and this is set out as a key priority in the Police and Crime Plan and the Force’s Operational Delivery Plan. This further drive should serve as a warning to potential abusers and give victims confidence that the police do and will continue to act on reports of domestic abuse.”
Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, has chosen Giles York as her preferred candidate to be the new Sussex Chief Constable.The announcement follows a rigorous recruitment process, which began in April, following the retirement of former Chief Constable, Martin Richards.Joining Katy Bourne on the selection board were Sir Denis O’Connor, former Chief Inspector of Constabulary for Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary, Air Vice-Marshal Robert W Judson FRAeS RAF, Director Joint Warfare, Ministry of Defence, and Mrs Dianne Newton, an experienced HR professional appointed by the College of Policing as an independent observer.
This week is National Volunteers’ Week and Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne has praised the dedicated work of the 70+ strong volunteers who visit custody centres across the county to observe and report on the conditions they find and to check on the welfare of detainees.Mrs Bourne said: “The role of the Independent Custody Visitor is becoming more important, with volunteers in the front line of the public holding the police to account.“Trust in our police is essential and I am committed to keeping standards high in Sussex. People need to feel confident in their police force. They need to be assured that the police act with integrity and impartiality, that people are treated fairly, professionally and according to their needs. Independent Custody Visitors have an important role in getting this message out to the wider community.“I really appreciate the dedication with which ICVs do their job, giving up evenings and weekends to go into police custody centres in order to check on the welfare of detainees, providing independent oversight of what is happening behind closed doors to people when they are at their most vulnerable.
Sussex Police and the Sussex Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) Federation have reaffirmed their partnership through a new Service Level Agreement (SLA).Sussex NHW Federation chair John Wright MBE met with Police & Crime Commissioner Katy Bourne and Assistant Chief Constable Robin Smith on Friday, 30 May to formally reaffirm the levels of service expected by all parties.Commenting on the new partnership arrangements Mrs Bourne said: “The Sussex NHW Federation is an excellent example of how volunteering is playing an integral role in supporting the police to keep our local communities safe.“I am pleased to sign these agreements as a mark of my commitment to encourage the development of volunteering throughout Sussex and to ensure that our volunteers are recognised and valued for the vital contribution they make.“I’d like to thank the Sussex NHW Federation and its members for their dedication and to ask anyone with the time and drive to make a difference in their community to get involved in volunteering.”
Sussex Neighbourhood Watch Search Teams are to be awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service 2014.Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner, Katy Bourne, said: “These teams of community-spirited volunteers were the first of their kind in the country and continue to support the police during times of need and increased demand.“I am delighted that the valuable contribution these volunteer searchers make has been recognised with this prestigious award and I would like to thank them all for their continued support in helping to keep Sussex safe.”
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
Subscribe to our newsletter
Keep up to date with our latest news and information